Butternut Squash Noodles with Red Pesto – Squashetti and Pesto Recipe
As I’ve been eating Vegan for the past month as part of Veganuary I’ve been trying lots of new, healthy recipes. It is important for me that any recipe is easy to make, healthy and also delicious. I find I’m really uninspired if food is bland and unapetitsing so this recipe is perfect. The red pesto gives it a wonderful flavour and the slight crunch from the squashetti adds texture and interest. It’s definitely one I’d make again so I thought I would share it with you here.
I was sent a great Spiralizer from Kenwood from AO.com which made making squashetti a breeze. You just need to peel and chop the straight part of a butternut squash to size and pop it in the machine and you have squashetti! It comes out like a cross between noodles and grated carrot.
To cook it you could steam it but I sautéed mine in olive oil before adding the pesto as I wanted it to be a bit al dente.
It’s the perfect weeknight dinner and much healthier than a traditional pasta recipe.
- 1 Butternut squash made into noodles with a spiralizer
- 2 garlic cloves
- 260g sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 100g pine nuts
- 100g olive oil
- large pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- a large bunch of fresh basil
- To make the red pesto...
- In a food processor pulse the garlic and the salt.
- Add the pine nuts and pulse again until roughly chopped.
- Add the tomatoes and the basil and pulse until you are happy with the texture.
- Mix in the olive oil until you get the right consistency.
- Make the squashetti and cook in a touch of olive oil in a pan for a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Stir in the pesto and cook until heated through.
- Serve with vine tomatoes and extra basil.
I’ve made a little video of how to make squashetti with the Kenwood Spiralizer if you are thinking about getting one…
Here’s to eating healthier and being happier!
Like this squashetti and pesto recipe? Share it with your friends or Pin it for later…
Disclosure – this post is in collaboration with AO.com