Creme Egg Chocolate Cake Recipe
I have been looking longingly at various creme egg recipes on the internet for a while now – you know they pop up in your facebook feed all the time, tempting you! So this year I have decided to make one! It was actually really easy, using just a basic chocolate sponge recipe with buttercream icing. Want to make one yourself? You can use any chocolate cake recipe you like. Here is the recipe I used…
- 200g plain flour
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 125g dark chocolate
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- For the chocolate buttercream:
- 150 g softened butter
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- For decoration:
- Chocolate fingers
- Creme eggs
- Chocolate curls
- Melt the chocolate and milk together in a bowl over hot water. While this is melting beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time. Fold in the melted chocolate and then sift in the other ingredients. Split between two 20 inch cake tins (greased and lined) and bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees celsius for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack before removing from the tins.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter, cream and vanilla together until soft. Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until soft and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cool, sandwich together with the icing and cover the top and sides with icing. Stick chocolate fingers around the sides of the cake and cut some creme eggs in half and place on the top of the cake. Sprinkle the chocolate curls on top.
This cake is seriously yummy – perfect for Easter! Trust me, it will go down well with anyone you share it with!
If you liked this post, please share it with your friends or Pin it for later…