Faulty electrics can cause severe fire hazards and injuries in the worst-case scenario. Because modern electrical rewiring follows strict building codes, the age of your home is usually the deciding factor. Many of the house wiring and cables are hidden behind walls and in the loft space, making it difficult to detect the symptoms of old electrical wiring. Therefore, when working with electricity, you should always exercise extreme caution. If you are not sure if your wiring is old or new, contact an electrician! Here, we will go over warning signs to help you determine if a house needs rewiring and how much a rewire costs.
- Lights That Flicker or Dim
- Lightbulbs That Have Burned Out in Their Sockets
- Consistently Blown Fuses
- Ignitable Outlets
- Discoloured switches or outlets
- A Slight Odour of Burning
- Power Fluctuations
- An Increasing Reliance on Extension Cords
- An Electrical Shock If You Touch a Power Cord
- Circuit Breakers Tripping
Lights That Flicker or Dim
The flickering or dimming of lights is one of the most common signs that your home needs to be re-wired. When a light brightens, it receives too much voltage, and when it dims, it receives too little. While it is common to believe that there is a problem with the lightbulb, this type of spike or decrease in power is typically associated with loose wiring or faulty circuits and should be investigated as soon as possible.
Lightbulbs That Have Burned Out in Their Sockets
Lightbulbs may have burned out within their sockets if you haven't noticed any flickering or dimming lights. This is a common symptom of more significant issues with your wiring caused by voltage fluctuations. Because lights are the most visible indications that a house rewire is necessary, you should call your local electrician as soon as possible.
Consistently Blown Fuses
Because of the increasing amount of technology or electrical appliances in our homes, older style fuses are not designed to withstand this amount of electricity blowing. Therefore, if your fuses frequently blow, you may need to replace them with more advanced circuit breakers.
Sparking outlets are sometimes perfectly normal and cause no concern; however, they can indicate a potentially hazardous problem. If your outlets are short-circuiting, extreme heat is generated within the outlet, resulting in melted insulation. When this is exposed, it can cause electrical fires.
Discoloured switches or outlets
Discoloured or burnt electrical outlets and switches are a clear indication of sparking outlets and that your home requires rewiring. A loose connection and faulty wiring near a switch or outlet can cause sparking, resulting in a small fire. This small fire will discolour the surface of the outlet and should be investigated immediately.
A Slight Odour of Burning
When an electrical short comes near your switches, the small explosion usually produces a faint burning odour. If you notice a burning odour but cannot pinpoint the source, your wiring may be undercutting behind your walls or beneath your floors. Any odour of unknown burning in your household should be investigated as soon as possible by a qualified electrician.
Power variation can be caused by weak wiring, overloaded sockets, or a too-small conductor to carry power to your home. If you are not daisy chaining electrical items and notice power fluctuations, you may have a more severe problem with your electrical wiring.
An Increasing Reliance on Extension Cords
Concerning power fluctuations, a growing reliance on extension cords is a common sign that your home requires rewiring with additional sockets installed in common living areas.
An Electrical Shock If You Touch a Power Cord
Nobody likes being shocked by electricity, especially your children. However, if you recently experienced a small electrical jolt while touching a cord or cable, you should immediately contact your local electrician for a home electrical safety test.
Circuit Breakers Tripping
When your circuit breakers trip, it means they are doing their job. When a circuit increases the number of amps, it is made to carry. As a result, a circuit breaker will "trip" and cut off the electrical flow. If your circuit breaker trips frequently, it is a clear indication of an issue with your wiring.