Although many holidays are characterised by indulgence and excess, you don’t need to put your health and safety at serious risk to make the most of your vacation this summer. By acting sensible while away from home and following the tips below, you can avoid turning your summer break into a nightmare. Read on for key tips on staying healthy during your summer vacation.
- Treat yourself without going too far. It’s natural that you might want to let yourself go while on holiday. The key to ensuring you’re getting all the nutrition you need is to opt for an 80:20 split, with around four-fifths of your food intake involving healthy eating so you can enjoy guilt-free burgers, pizzas, and other calorific treats the rest of the time. To get the nutrition you need, consider carrying healthy snacks around with you so you have a quick solution when hunger strikes. These could include fresh fruits, nuts, and nutrition bars.
- Stay hydrated. Fail to consume the water you need in the hot sun and you could find yourself struggling to enjoy your holiday due to sluggishness and tiredness. Consume extra water alongside any alcoholic drinks you might be indulging in, perhaps sipping a pint of water for each glass of wine. If you’re not too fond of the taste of water, why not add berries or citrus slices to make it more interesting and improve your intake of Vitamin C? Many holidaymakers also use nootropics to enhance their motivation levels.
- Weigh yourself daily. Checking your weight on a daily basis will help you find out whether you have been over-indulging and if you need to reduce your intake of unhealthy food and drink for a day or two. Don’t beat yourself up if you do gain a few extra pounds – keeping up-to-date with your weight can help you maintain the ideal balance between health and indulgence.
- Don’t focus your holiday on eating and drinking. Going on vacation is all about fulfilling your mind, spirit, and soul, so plan exciting and enriching activities that don’t involve food and drink to make your break more varied and memorable. Activities such as heading to concerts, shopping, visiting art galleries, and massages can provide the escapist pleasure you require.
- Get the sleep you require. Going without sleep can be very detrimental to the quality of your vacation and make it harder to enjoy the activities you have lined up. Try to sleep between six and eight hours each night to maintain a positive frame of mind and ward off weight gain. Aim to go to sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time on a morning. If the local time is different to the time back home, attempt to sync your circadian rhythm as soon as possible.
Don’t risk ruining your summer vacation – be kind to your body and mind on holiday so you can create magical memories and get the rest and relaxation you need.
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends or Pin it for later…