I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm really looking forward to spring cleaning my house. I love it when the sun comes out and the light shines through the house, making it all warm and bright. I take a day, throw on a pair of joggers and an old t-shirt and get busy cleaning the house from top to bottom. There's something really satisfying in it and I love the feeling that the house is really clean.
You'll need a few things for your spring clean, your vacuum cleaner and mop and some cleaning equipment like rubber gloves, scourers, cloths and cleaning liquids.
You don't have to spend a fortune, you'll just need a couple of things. Marigold actually have a great offer on at the moment where if you can try a Marigold cloth or scourer for free. Simply buy a Marigold cloth or scourer with an orange sticker, post a review online and send it off with your receipt to Marigold and they will refund the price of your purchase (up to £2.99 plus postage). Full details are on their site here.
Once you have all your equipment ready you can crack on with the cleaning. Here's my top 10 list of things to clean when you're doing a deep spring clean. These are the things that don't get cleaned every week but are done every now and again.
- Clean the windows - clean your windows inside and out and you'll find that it makes a huge difference to the amount of light that comes into your home. Use a soft cloth and a mild soap solution or you can use window cleaner spray. Make sure that you buff the windows dry so there are no streaks.
- Clean your blinds / curtains - when your windows are clean you'll want to make sure that your window dressings are too. Use a soft cloth to clean blinds and take down your curtains and give them a good wash and iron. Pick a nice day so they can dry on the washing line.
- Clean all skirting boards and picture rails - use a long duster to reach high up picture rails and use a damp cloth on skirting boards.
- Clean out your cupboards - spring cleaning time is the perfect time to empty your kitchen cupboards and give them a good clean. Throw away any out of date food and organise everything nicely when you put it back.
- Scrub your baseboards, cooker hood and oven - whilst you are cleaning the kitchen make sure you clean your baseboards and clean your cooker hood filters. Pop some oven cleaner in your oven and let it work it's magic while you are cleaning the rest of the kitchen.
- Clean bannisters - bannisters can get really grubby with all those dirty hands touching them all the time. Give them a good wash down with an antibacterial cleaner.
- Clean your lights - much like cleaning your windows, giving your lights a good dust will make your home so much brighter.
- Get those cobwebs - use your long duster to get any cobwebs that might be lurking in the top corners of your rooms.
- Launder your duvet - we have a duvet that we switch in spring for a thinner one. We take the thicker winter one to be dry cleaned so it's nice and clean ready for the next winter.
- Sofas and cushions - I like to take the covers of my sofa cushions and give them a good wash. Again I wait for a good weather day to do this! If you can't remove the covers give them a good wipe down with a damp cloth and put them outside in the sunshine to dry. Wash any decorative cushions too.
I hope that you found this post useful and you're off to do some spring cleaning now! Feel free to share this post with your friends or Pin it for later...
Disclosure - this post is written in association with Marigold. All opinions are honest and my own.