I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm really looking forward to spring cleaning my house. I love it when the sun comes out and the light shines through the house, making it all warm and bright. I take a day, throw on a pair of joggers and an old t-shirt and get busy cleaning the house from top to bottom. There's something really satisfying in it and I love the feeling that the house is really clean.
You'll need a few things for your spring clean, your vacuum cleaner and mop and some cleaning equipment like rubber gloves, scourers, cloths and cleaning liquids.
You don't have to spend a fortune, you'll just need a couple of things. Marigold actually have a great offer on at the moment where if you can try a Marigold cloth or scourer for free. Simply buy a Marigold cloth or scourer with an orange sticker, post a review online and send it off with your receipt to Marigold and they will refund the price of your purchase (up to £2.99 plus postage). Full details are on their site here.
Once you have all your equipment ready you can crack on with the cleaning. Here's my top 10 list of things to clean when you're doing a deep spring clean. These are the things that don't get cleaned every week but are done every now and again.
- Clean the windows - clean your windows inside and out and you'll find that it makes a huge difference to the amount of light that comes into your home. Use a soft cloth and a mild soap solution or you can use window cleaner spray. Make sure that you buff the windows dry so there are no streaks.
- Clean your blinds / curtains - when your windows are clean you'll want to make sure that your window dressings are too. Use a soft cloth to clean blinds and take down your curtains and give them a good wash and iron. Pick a nice day so they can dry on the washing line.
- Clean all skirting boards and picture rails - use a long duster to reach high up picture rails and use a damp cloth on skirting boards.
- Clean out your cupboards - spring cleaning time is the perfect time to empty your kitchen cupboards and give them a good clean. Throw away any out of date food and organise everything nicely when you put it back.
- Scrub your baseboards, cooker hood and oven - whilst you are cleaning the kitchen make sure you clean your baseboards and clean your cooker hood filters. Pop some oven cleaner in your oven and let it work it's magic while you are cleaning the rest of the kitchen.
- Clean bannisters - bannisters can get really grubby with all those dirty hands touching them all the time. Give them a good wash down with an antibacterial cleaner.
- Clean your lights - much like cleaning your windows, giving your lights a good dust will make your home so much brighter.
- Get those cobwebs - use your long duster to get any cobwebs that might be lurking in the top corners of your rooms.
- Launder your duvet - we have a duvet that we switch in spring for a thinner one. We take the thicker winter one to be dry cleaned so it's nice and clean ready for the next winter.
- Sofas and cushions - I like to take the covers of my sofa cushions and give them a good wash. Again I wait for a good weather day to do this! If you can't remove the covers give them a good wipe down with a damp cloth and put them outside in the sunshine to dry. Wash any decorative cushions too.
I hope that you found this post useful and you're off to do some spring cleaning now! Feel free to share this post with your friends or Pin it for later...
Disclosure - this post is written in association with Marigold. All opinions are honest and my own.
I really need to get a spring clean sorted, it sounds like you have really planned everything out. I always managed to forget something like cleaning the curtains.
oh im the same it started two weeks ago and were slowely getting through it one room or corner at a time it makes you feel so much better
My boyfriend has just moved in with me so at the moment it's more about tidying and finding homes for things then I'll be spring cleaning x
My boyfriend is in the middle of moving in so at the moment it's more about tidying and finding homes for things then it will be spring cleaning time x
I have been through a "spring cleaning" recently, when I moved from my flat to a new house. As my cleaning lady had an emergency and had to attend a funeral, I was left with all the cleaning myself. I felt it took forever to finish 🙂
I am desperate to do a good spring clean. We are having a lot of work done on the house though so at the moment I have to grin and bear the dust and clutter!
OH no I don't want to think about spring cleaning. I've got to combine it with a clear out which i'm really dreading. I wish the kids would help.
Marigold are an amazing brand, I use them for washing and tidying up, great gloves aswell which really help not get your hands wet.
Thanks for your honest opinions and I also love to spring my house, not just for the springs but a monthly basis. The feeling is everything and the new smell, which I feel comes with the satisfaction that the house is really cleaned.
Thanks for your honest opinions and I also love to spring clean my house, not just for the springs but on a monthly basis. The feeling is so refreshing and the new smell, i love, which i feel comes with the satisfaction that the house is really clean. Thanks also for the list..it's helpful
The Inner Circle
Well written entry and that is a very fair offer from Marigold to refund the purchase price no matter what the review may say.
As soon as the suns out and shining through the windows I love to do the same thing. I love how fresh and clean everything feels while doing it and afterwards x
I'm really feeling the need to start Spring cleaning! Even though it still sort of feels like winter ha! x
Ooo I do love a good spring clean, to get the house looking all shiny and new ready for the summer months ahead x
We are in the middle of a spring clean at the moment. We did all the doors today. So boring!
After I return home from my trips, I will be dedicating a day to clearing out and giving my place a nice spring cleaning day ready for the summer weather.
I love cleaning posts! It's so cathartic to have a good clean of the house! I did our windows this weekend and once I started i noticed all the other things that look grubby and i've realised the magnitude of the job! But it's so satisfying afterwards and good weather defo helps because things dry so much quicker and look sparklier! I am realising that the dream of having lovely wipe clean floors with 2 kids, 3 cats isn't so great in spring though because shedding season! It's fur-arama Chez Helicopter right now! 😀
We Made This Life
Oh yes my cats are the same, fur everywhere!