I’ve been transitioning myself over to a vegan diet. I’m planning on writing a proper post about it so I won’t go into it here. I have talked before about starting a vegan diet so if you want some tips head over there to have a read first, and then come back and make these healthy vegan waffles!
Most weekends we make waffles or pancakes as a family. It’s one of our traditions and I felt so sad that I couldn’t sit down to eat waffles with my family. I just love lazy weekend mornings where someone is cooking the waffles, the children are playing and I’m hopefully reading a magazine or newspaper! I knew I had to find an alternative for myself so I looked up a vegan waffle recipe. I found this one on The Minimalist Baker and made a couple of changes as I didn’t need mine to be gluten free.
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tsp white or apple cider vinegar.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Heaped 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- pinch Himalayan pink sea salt.
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- Put the almond milk and vinegar into a bowl, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl
- Whisk the rest of the wet ingredients into the milk and vinegar mixture.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and let sit for another 5 minutes while your waffle maker heats up.
- Spray your waffle maker with coconut oil and cook the waffles until they are crispy on the outside.
- Serve with fruit and maple syrup or whatever you choose!
You can use another oil such as canola oil or coconut oil. I originally used coconut oil but I felt that it gave the waffles a distinctly coconut taste. I also found that they didn’t rise as much as my usual waffles so I filled the waffle maker right up and kept an eye on them to tell whether they were cooked or not. These waffles are a little denser than my usual waffles but they were really delicious and I’ve also been having them in the evening with a dollop of vegan ice cream for a lovely treat.
I’m so glad that I’ve managed to make really nice healthy vegan waffles as it means that I won’t feel like I’m missing out at breakfast (or dessert) time.
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends or Pin it for later…