My children love chocolate cake (that probably goes without saying for everyone though doesn’t it!). I am always looking for little ways to get some extra fruit and vegetables into them and when I found this recipe for Cocoa and Beetroot Cake in the Busy Bees recipe book I thought it was the perfect way to sneak a little goodness into something that is usually a treat! I love that it is made with wholemeal flour and vegetable oil instead of butter. You could try add using coconut oil if you prefer and if you are looking for an egg free version you could replace the egg with 120ml milk.
Little Miss J loves to cook with me so she got stuck into baking – just be careful with the beetroot that you wear gloves otherwise it will stain your hands!
- 40g beetroot, raw and peeled
- 20g cocoa powder
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius / Gas mark 6 and line and 8 inch / 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper
- Grate the beetroot (wear gloves!)
- Mix all the other ingredients together until smooth and light in colour
- Mix in the beetroot
- Pour mix into cake tin and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean
The cake went down a treat and my other two fussy eaters didn’t even notice that there was any beetroot in there! Definitely one to make again! Do you try to sneak goodness into treats for your little ones? I’d love to know so I can try out some more recipes. Leave me a comment below! A big thank you to Busy Bees Childcare for making this post possible. You can find out more about Busy Bees nurseries in Huntingdon if you are interested.
If you liked this post please share it with your friends or you could always Pin it for later…